Easter is quickly approaching and the Ohio eggs-perts are sharing some of their favorite egg decorating techniques to give families ideas for new Easter traditions. Use colored rice to create unique, Robin’s egg patterns on Easter eggs! Get step-by-step instructions below:
- What You’ll Need:
- Hard-boiled Eggs (white, brown or a combo of both!)
- Food coloring
- White vinegar
- 1 cup white rice
- Sandwich bags
- Place about 1/8 – 1/4 cup of rice in the bags.
- Drop 10-15 drops of food coloring in bags of rice.
- Add in a little vinegar but do not let the rice get too watery.
- Shake the bag gently to make sure the colored rice is evenly distributed around the egg.
- Place eggs on drying rack and let dry for 20-60 minutes.
It’s very important to not add too much vinegar to the rice mixture when using this technique. Excess vinegar will cause the rice to clump and stick to the eggshell.
If you plan to eat your decorated eggs, make sure to use only food-safe decorating materials. For more on Easter & Egg Safety.