Make Easter Baskets Sparkle with Glitter Eggs
Easter is quickly approaching and the Ohio eggs-perts are sharing some of their favorite egg decorating techniques to give families ideas for new Easter traditions. Glitter eggs are sure to make Easter baskets even MORE sp-egg-tacular! Get step-by-step instructions below:
- What You’ll Need:
- 12 hard-boiled Eggs, in shell (white, brown or a combo of both!)
- Wide-rimmed, shallow plastic cups (9oz. or smaller)
- White, washable school glue
- Glitter, various colors
- Paper plate for drying
- Fill one of the cups with about ¾ inch of glue and each remaining cup with about ½ centimeter of glitter.
- Dip the rounded, bottom half of the egg in the glue. Turn egg slightly to get a good coating of glue. Lift egg out of glue and let any excess drip off.
- Twist bottom half of egg in glitter until an initial layer of glitter covers the glue. Use the sides of the cup to help turn the egg.
- Sprinkle and pat extra glitter onto the egg, using your fingers, to cover sparse areas and smooth out any clumps.
- Stand egg upright in cup until the glue is fairly dry. Transfer to a paper plate or similar surface to continue drying.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each shade of glitter, and watch your eggs shimmer.
To get a more even finish on your glitter eggs, stick a thin piece of washi tape around the circumference of each egg. When dipping, make sure glue and glitter cover about half of the washi tape. Once eggs are dry, peel off tape and enjoy!
If you plan to eat your decorated eggs, make sure to only use edible glitter – even though glitter only goes on the shell, which will be removed before eating, only food safe decorating materials should be used on eggs that will be eaten. For more on Easter & Egg Safety.