Whether you like them scrambled, fried, over easy or something in between, eggs make the perfect addition to any meal.
May is National Egg Month! Did you know that Ohio’s egg farmers produce more than 10 billion eggs per year? This makes Ohio the second largest producer of eggs in the country. Eggs are convenient, versatile and one of the highest quality proteins you can buy.
Celebrate this kitchen staple with these delicious egg recipes:
These Blueberry, Avocado and Banana Muffins make for a delicious grab-and-go breakfast or snack!
Put a twist on your spring appetizer menu with Korean BBQ Turkey Deviled Eggs.
End all your meals with this Vanilla Frozen Custard Ice Cream – it’s perfectly refreshing and sweet!
More recipes can be found at OhioEggs.com.
Egg Safety Tips
With summer around the corner, make sure you’re prepped and ready for picnics and barbecues. Although Ohio’s egg farmers work to produce high-quality, safe eggs, it’s up to you to practice proper food safety at home! Here’s some egg-cellent tips for keeping your eggs fresh and safe:
- Keep eggs stored in a refrigerator or cooler and use ice or freezer packs to keep food cold.
- Egg dishes that are meant to be served cold should be packed in an insulated bag or cooler and kept at 40°F or cooler.
- Egg dishes that are meant to be served hot should be kept in thermal containers and kept at a temperature of 140°F or higher.
- When transporting coolers, make sure to store them in a cool place, like the shade or an air-conditioned car, rather than directly in the sun or the trunk. Leftovers need to be refrigerated and discarded after 2-3 days.
Egg Nutrition Fast Facts
Did you know eggs are a nutritional powerhouse? Not only are they delicious, but they can help contribute to a balanced diet.
- With 8 essential nutrients and 6 grams of protein, eggs are a compact, natural source of vitamins and minerals to help keep you energized.
- Eggs are a high-quality protein! They keep you feeling fuller longer and help support muscle and bone health.
- They’re great for kids, too! Eggs contain choline, which helps with brain development and supports lifelong brain health.
Ohio’s egg farmers are dedicated to producing wholesome and nutritious eggs for their family and yours year-round. Learn more about what it means to be an Ohio egg farmer: