The Recipe for an Egg-Cellent Family Picnic
Don’t miss the opportunity to enter to win our Ultimate Summer Picnic Sweepstakes – details below!
As summer winds down, and in honor of Family Fun Month in August, now is the perfect time for quality family time before the kids go back to school. One of the best ways to wrap up a great summer is to pack up your favorite foods, grab a blanket and head out for a picnic. It’s a fun way to get some fresh air before the fall weather arrives.
The best part of a picnic is packing your favorite foods! Consider adding delicious eggs to your basket –you can prepare them on their own or combine them with some of your other favorite foods to make a nutritious meal. Not only are they delicious, but eggs are one of the lowest-cost, highest-quality proteins available, plus they provide essential vitamins and minerals for healthy living – making them a great addition to any picnic!
Here’s a list of egg recipes that are picnic perfect and sure to impress the whole family! Happy picnicking!
Food Safety Tips
As with any outdoor event involving food, it’s important to practice proper food safety, especially when the weather is warm. Although Ohio’s egg farmers work to produce high-quality, safe eggs, it’s up to you to practice proper food safety at home! Here’s some egg-cellent tips for keeping your eggs fresh and safe:
- Use ice or freezer packs to keep eggs cool. Make sure to place your eggs back in the refrigerator or cooler once finished eating, and do not keep them out for more than two hours.
- Egg dishes that are meant to be served cold should be packed in an insulated bag or cooler and kept at 40°F or cooler. Keep coolers in the shade and add extra ice each time they’re opened.
- Egg dishes that are meant to be served hot should be kept in thermal containers and kept at a temperature of 140°F or higher.
- Transport coolers in the backseat of an air-conditioned car rather than placing in a warm trunk to keep eggs and other perishable foods at their optimum temperature.
- Remember to keep leftovers refrigerated and discard after 2-3 days of making the dish.
Enter for a Chance to Win our Ultimate Summer Picnic Sweepstakes
Ohio egg farmers are selecting five lucky winners to receive summer picnic prizes in honor of Family Fun Month! One lucky winner will receive a $500-value grand prize picnic package and four lucky winners will receive $250-value picnic prize packs. To enter, like @OhioEggandPoultry on Facebook or @OhioPoultry on Instagram and enter through August 31 here. The Ohio Poultry Association will contact winners on September 1.
Meet an Ohio Egg Farmer
Ohio egg farmers work hard year-round to provide high-quality and nutritious eggs for Ohioans and the world. Meet an Ohio egg farmer here.