Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat on low speed until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Cherry Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies: Substitute 2 cups dark chocolate chunks or chips for semisweet chocolate chips and add 1 cup dried sweet cherries. Makes 4 dozen.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter with the butter in step 2. Omit walnuts. Makes 4-1/2 dozen.
- Blondies: Heat oven to 375°F. Make dough; do not refrigerate. Spread dough in greased 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake in 375°F oven until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 35 bars.
- Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.
- Cookie dough can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days or frozen up to 8 weeks. Baked cookies can be frozen up to 4 months.
- Make holiday baking easier: do it in advance~ Scoop and freeze cookie dough balls, then bake them off when the next cookie emergency arises.